Tom's Terrain Tools¶
Tom's Terrain Tools is an editor script that makes it a lot easier to bring realistic terrains and landscapes into Unity 3D.
The Terrain Tools take distribution maps you have created elsewhere, e.g. in Terragen, L3DT, World Machine, etc. and apply them to the terrain in Unity. They do not do actual procedural/fractal generation like FractScape or the Terrain Toolkit do. Instead, they allow you to harnest the incredible power of the tools dedicated to this purpose and bring their results into Unity.In detail, the Terrain Tools can:
- Apply terrain textures (splatmaps)
- Mass-place trees (many thousands at once)
- Mass-place grass and detail meshes over the entire terrain
- Add overlays, which can be used for paths, roads, rivers, etc.
- Place selected objects on the terrain surface
- Use a spawn map to spawn objects - much better than spawn points as you can not "camp" a spawn map
- Adjust terrain quality settings
- Access individual trees to modify them, for example to make trees destructable (a must-have if you have tanks, large monsters, etc. in your game)
You will receive full, documented source code for all scripts, so you can adapt them to your needs if you want to.
Using these tools, you can easily and quickly create lush and beautiful outdoor scenes like these these three example scenes, which are also '''included in the download''', including their Terragen 2 source files:
- Manual -- full documentation
- AutoMagic -- a cool new feature for even quicker terrain generation
- Extras -- additional content
- FAQ and known problems -- look here if you are stuck
- Terrain Examples -- example projects and maps for download